- This event has passed.
Introduction to Angel Investing
14 December 2021 @ 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
In this three-hour virtual training session, John Sechrest, founder of the Seattle Angel Conference, will walk you through an overview of some of the key aspects of Angel Investing.
All of the changes we are seeing in the world will find lasting and sustainable solutions by entrepreneurs and innovators creating new pathways to solving complex issues. When Angel Investing is done well, startups can go faster, make more progress, and grow the local economy.
Who should attend: If you are new to angel investing and/or will be participating in the OKGN Angel Summit, you are encouraged to attend as this is a great baseline training before entering the Summit. Experienced investors are also welcome as there will be new insights and an opportunity to get a sense of the market overall.
Questions we’ll explore:
- How can startups make the most of an Angel Investment?
- Who exactly is allowed to be Angel Investors by Law?
- What are the best ways to invest?
- What are the things that Angel Investors should look for in startups?
- Are all startups Angel Investable?
Topics we’ll cover:
1. The funding ecosystem for startups
- The startup journey
- Funding options for startups including non-diluted options
- Pathways to funding for Startups
- Funding for Small Businesses (how they are different than Startup needs)
- Expectations of Financial Discipline
- Startup Success patterns
2. Introduction to Angel Investing
- The investment journey overview
- Investment as opposed to philanthropy
- What makes a good business?
- What makes an investable business?
- Deal Structures
- Building a portfolio of investments
- Angel investing as economic development
3. Foundation and Process
- Deal Flow
- Due Diligence
- Mechanics of a single investment and group investment
- Term sheets
- Clauses of concern
- Exit and Returns
- Networks, Funds and Syndicates
- Investment thesis
4. Investing in BC and Canada
- Benefits of Angel Investing – EBC Tax Credits
- Common deal structures
- Finding other Angels
- Cross border investing
5. Your Angel Investment Journey
- Local Angel Investment
- Building a portfolio
- Leading deals
- Participating in groups
6. The OKGN Angel Summit Journey
- Overview of the timeline
- Expectations of work
- Expectations of process
- OKGN Angel Summit Investments Society LP Agreement
About the Trainer:
John Sechrest is the founder of the Seattle Angel Conference and the catalyst behind the OKGN Angel Summit as well as the Alaska Angel Conferences and the San Diego Angel Conference. John consults with communities and provides guidance around startups and building the startup ecosystems. John focuses on entrepreneurial and innovation efforts as a way to develop new projects and companies. His efforts are focused on building the tools, skills and processes that enable people to make a positive impact on the world.
John has been a professional programmer, founder of an Internet Service Provider, an Economic Development Director, an Executive Director of a non-profit in addition to growing the Northwest startup ecosystem. Current programs include Open Coffee, Lean Startup Seattle, Startup Weekend facilitation, Seattle Angel Conference and a Fund Manager Peer Learning Group.