Wednesday, March 17, 2021, Kelowna, BC – UBCO’s top entrepreneurial teams faced off Tuesday evening at the 3rd annual MNP Quick Pitch Challenge judged by the Valhalla Angels for $75,000 in prizes.
The link to the competition is here: https://youtu.be/tVMpqYMNQJM
This annual fast paced competition is the culmination of an intensive six-month fall/winter Mentor 2 Market accelerator program for UBCO students from undergraduate and graduate programs as well as faculty, recent alumni and staff.
This school year 14 teams were accepted into the intensive now virtual six-month program. They have been receiving one-on-one mentoring from volunteer business leaders, as well as attending live cases with top innovation experts, and participating in mentor feedback and practice sessions. Key focus areas of the entrepreneurship@UBCO program include customer discovery, development of a minimum viable product and business model and pitch practice.
The top three winning teams are:
- First Prize: GAPSS – Gravity Assisted Particle Separate System – a revolutionary stormwater decontamination system founded by second year UBCO students Jacob Sol (Civil Engineering), Cole White-Robinson (Mechanical Engineering), Jayden Wong (Electrical Engineering), Graeme Kumagai (Electrical Engineering) and second year UBC Vancouver student Rudransh Kumar (Engineering Physics).
- Second Prize: CloudTrack – a theft-prevention system for motorcycles and other on and off road vehicles – founded by UBCO fourth year student Connor Scott (Electrical Engineering) and alumnus David Rojas, BBA.
- Third Prize: Agronome – a smart agtech platform targeting farmers in Africa founded by Michael Oyatsi, a UBCO Mechanical Engineering alumnus and Kennedy Wafula.
- Audience Choice: Elite A2Z – a cost effective household water filtration system utilizing bio-composite materials
The following venture founders won e@UBCO Student Entrepreneur of the Year Awards:
- Pala Kovacs, UBCO Business Management, 3rd year – founder Captured Experiences, a photography business process platform
- Ehab Ghanem, UBCO PhD candidate, Electrical/Geomatics Engineering, Multi-sensor fusion for Autonomous Vehicles – co-founder VegMaps, an agtech monitoring platform utilizing drones.
- Mahmoud Sakr, UBCO PhD candidate, Mechanical Engineering – co-founder ResearchTube – an online AI platform to convert executive summaries of research papers into short videos.
- Jacob Sol, Civil Engineering and Cole White-Robinson, Mechanical Engineering, both 2nd year students – two of five co-founders of GAPSS – Gravity Assisted Particle Separate System – a revolutionary stormwater decontamination system.
- Gavin Saini and Keyvan Kahadem, Civil Engineering, both 3rd year students – two of four co-founders of Elite A2Z, a cost effective household water filtration system utilizing bio-composite materials.
The following founders won e@UBCO Alumni Entrepreneur of the Year Awards:
- Arpan Kandola, a Civil Engineering graduate and one of three co-founders of Proximy, a platform to easily bring community members together for events focused around common interests.
- Mohamed Gamal, PhD, Engineering, and one of two co-founders of GelMa, an innovative biomaterial company.
- Pouria Mehrabi – Masters in Science, Mechanical Engineering and founder of Tutor Me, a university-level tutoring software platform.
- Michael Oyatsi – a Mechanical Engineering graduate and one of the two co-founders of Agronome, a smart agtech platform targeting farmers in Africa.
e@UBCO Quick Pitch
The e@UBCO MNP Quick Pitch challenge, in its third year, is designed to showcase talented UBCO entrepreneurs to the business and investor community and the media. The best ranked innovation teams face-off in several highly-competitive rounds, culminating in a final competition judged by the Valhalla Angels.
e@UBCO Mentor 2 Market Program
This high impact, virtual program takes innovation teams from validation through to product launch – combining hands-on mentoring by 35+ business veterans, live cases featuring top North American tech leaders, mentored breakout exercises and review sessions, a masterclass VODcast library and Quick Pitch program judged by the Valhalla Angels.