Entrepreneurship can often seem daunting or intimidating to those first starting out but as a wise man once said, the best place to start is the beginning. The Startup Basics Program is a part of the Discovery Parks Technology Education Program, and this fall it will be hosted in collaboration with Westbank First Nation.
You are going to have legal and accounting needs regardless of your business type. Although making this a priority can be difficult, it’s an important area of the business to tackle – and the earlier the better!
The Legal & Accounting 101 was designed to give you all the tools you need to start things off right. In this session, representatives from Pushor Mitchell and Grant Thornton will walk through the staples of legal and accounting like financial reporting, filing requirements, incorporation, and commercial agreements (just to name a few).
Here is a little more information about our subject matter experts:
Pushor Mitchell LLP’s Andrew Brunton specializes in franchise, real estate, and business law. He also has plenty of experience helping companies with the creation of commercial contracts, business sales, and setting up the board of directors. To ensure you feel equipped to maneuver the legal side of a start up, Andrew will focus on the following:
- Initial business setup and incorporation
- Raising money
- Hiring employees
- Sample legal budget
- Legal terms (think warranties, indemnities, proprietary rights)
- Setting up financial statements
- How to prepare them for your users
- Different types of financial reporting
- How to track and submit business expenses for tax purposes
- Different filing requirements for banks/ investors and the CRA.