One of the biggest challenges facing entrepreneurs is money. Accessing growth capital, securing investments, and generating revenue are issues that plague startup and growth-stage businesses alike. The OKGN Angel Summit is designed to unlock the capital for entrepreneurs by increasing the number of angel investors within our community.
The OKGN Angel Summit is a 10-week program where accredited investors are introduced to the world of angel investing through a guided, hands-on process where a small venture capital fund is raised, deals are screened, and an actual investment in a company is made. This process provides participating companies with a chance to actively learn how businesses are vetted, perform due diligence, and make improvements on their pitch week-over-week. At the end of the 10 weeks, the 6 finalists pitch to an audience of community members and investors at a public finale. After the pitches, the investors will vote and a winner will be chosen to receive an investment fund. It’s like Dragons’ Den meets American Idol!
There is still time to get involved as an investor. The cost to participate in the OKGN Angel Summit as an investor is $5,500. This includes a $5,000 investment in the fund and $500 used for legal and administrative costs. Accredited investors who are both curious, ready to participate, and passionate to learn about angel investing would benefit the most from applying for the OKGN Angel Summit.
Applications close Monday, November 23rd.
Have questions? Connect with our Programs Manager, Jenna Stasuk.
OKGN Angel Summit is ideal for early-stage companies where an investment of $100 – $200k will make an impact in moving their business forward. Entrepreneurs that apply should be based in British Columbia, operate in any industry, and have the potential for a 10x return on investment in 5 years.
The cost to participate in the OKGN Angel Summit as a company is $199 if purchased on or before December 4, or if you are an Accelerate Okanagan member, and $299 if purchased after December 4.
- Early-stage companies seeking an investment of $100k – $1M
- Located in British Columbia
- Must be able to attend and participate in pitch sessions and the finale
- Ability and willingness to accept and use an investment up to $200k
- Prototype (MVP) working towards product/market fit
- Passionate and capable founding team
- Identified early adopters in a large addressable market
- A plan to scale with potential for a 10x return in 5 years
- Deck and information must be uploaded to Gust
- Opportunity to connect with active investors
- Opportunity to connect with entrepreneurs raising capital
- One-on-one with Dragons’ Den Investor, Arlene Dickinson (for the finalists)
- Public exposure and storytelling
- Opportunity to raise $150k
Applications close December 31, 2020.
Have questions? Connect with Program Lead, Fraser Johnston.
- Applications & Reviews | January 11
Investors meet and gain details around the investing process. Reviews are conducted on every business that has applied for the Summit.
- Quarter-Finalists Selected | January 18
24 businesses are chosen to continue the program. The selected companies receive training for investment readiness.
- Top 24 Pitch to Investors | January 25 & 27
The finalists deliver 3-minute pitches to investors, followed by an opportunity for breakout conversations between companies and investors.
- Semi-Finalists Selected | February 1
The list of participating businesses is narrowed down to 12. Those companies receive additional investment training.
- Top 12 Pitch to Investors | February 8 & 10
The finalists deliver 10-minute pitches to investors, followed by an opportunity for breakout conversations between companies and investors.
- Finalists Selected | February 16
Investors reduce the number of participants down to the final 6. Companies and investors receive training in the due diligence process.
- Due Diligence Investigation | March 1
Companies and investors undergo the due diligence process, diving deep into the structure and viability of the final 6 companies.
- The Finale | March 18
The community is invited to a grand finale where they can watch the final 6 companies provide their last 5-minute pitch to investors. Investors conduct their final deliberation and announce who will take home the winning investment.
To maintain COVID-19 health and safety standards, the majority of 2021 OKGN Angel Summit events and meetings will be hosted virtually for investors and companies with potential to appear in person for the final pitch event.
Learn more about the OKGN Angel Summit at www.okgnangelsummit.com.