Accelerate Okanagan’s new Fundable initiative is a cohort-style accelerator program focused on capital education.
It is designed to empower early-stage startups who are preparing to raise pre-seed funding with comprehensive knowledge about financing options and what it means to be an investable company. The deadline to apply is September 17, and the program starts on October 5.
Fundable’s training schedule incorporates a mix of lectures, guest speakers, interactive workshops, and group activities with peers. The program is delivered in-person from our Kelowna office with the option to join virtually on Zoom. It all culminates in a Demo Day at the Kelowna Innovation Centre where angel investors, active funds, and seasoned entrepreneurs are invited to listen to pitches from the participating startups. A cash prize of $2,500 will be awarded to the top Demo Day startup.
The weekly sessions will be led by our Investor-in-Residence, Brodie Desimone. Brodie has a passion for digital disruption and leveraging tech solutions to accelerate growth at the seed stage. He was the founder of three successful startups before he joined Microsoft Canada, and spent the next 10 years developing technology strategy in mining, forestry, retail, and telecommunications. In addition to Brodie’s passion for developing businesses, he is also an active investor. Brodie has been part of Anrias Capital Corp, Mavan Capital, and Brightwork Ventures. He has also been a lead investor in our Okanagan Angel Summit.
Week 1: Onboarding and Introduction to Investment Readiness
- Introduction to common investment terms
- Investment landscape overview
- Breakdown of funding pathways
Week 2: Business Hygiene
- Establishing a clear vision for your startup
- Building and showcasing a strong team
- Understanding market dynamics, potential, and sizing
- Developing and communicating exit strategies
Week 3: Financial Literacy Fundamentals
- Understanding income statements, balance sheets, and cash flow
- Financial metrics crucial for startups (CAC, LTV, Burn Rate, etc.)
- Importance of break-even analysis and profitability forecasts
Week 4: Data Room, Due Diligence, and Deal Structuring
- Preparing a data room: What to include and why
- Navigating the due diligence process with potential investors
- Basics of deal structuring and its implications
Week 5: Valuation and Negotiation
- Valuation methodologies for startups
- Understanding dilution, term sheets, and cap tables
- Effective negotiation strategies with potential investors
Week 6: Storytelling and Pitch Deck Development
- Crafting a compelling startup story
- Essential components of an effective pitch deck
- Workshop: Peer reviews of pitch drafts and iterative feedback
Week 7: Funding Strategy & Demo Day
- Aligning fundraising with business milestones
- Deciding how much to raise and at what valuation
- Building a roadmap of potential investors and funding rounds
Demo Day Highlights
- Startups pitch live for $2500 cash prize
- Feedback session from guest investors and seasoned entrepreneurs
- Networking and potential live discussions with investors
Week 8: Offboarding & Review and Retrospective
- Program review and reflections
- Wrap up and offboarding
- Kudos and High-fives
By the end of the 8-weeks, participants will have a holistic understanding of the funding landscape, be equipped with tools to effectively pitch their business, and have a strategy in place to approach potential funders confidently. If you are interested in this program but not sure if it is a fit, we highly recommend you apply anyways. Our Programs Team will work with you to assess the best resources for your startup.
Join the Fall Cohort
Apply by September 17
Fundable is developed and delivered by Accelerate Okanagan and made possible by funding provided by NRC-IRAP.