Do you love world-changing technology? Do you have a passion for sustainable materials? Does the idea of creating a new category excite you? Do you want to live in one of the prettiest places on earth (British Columbia, Canada)? If so, we’re looking for you!
- Have pulled recyclables out of the trash
- Appreciate a good debate even with your boss
- Are really interested in electric vehicles and sustainable innovations
- Figure out how to fix it instead of who is to blame
- Aren’t afraid to jump in the deep end
- Believe we do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children
- Work to protect and restore the environment
- Aren’t afraid to make mistakes as long as we learn
- Care more about your values and intelligence than your experience
- Are committed to creating team dynamics that create empowerment vs. entitlement
Our Core Values:
- Commit to a culture that builds a strong COMMUNITY
- Foster CREATIVITY to inspire fresh innovation
- Embrace COURAGE by taking action despite uncertainty
- Live with Awareness and CONSCIOUSNESS of our choices
Join a fast-growing Canadian Mission with a Company committed to creating a waste-free future. Over the last 11 years Pela has helped over 1 million customers make the switch to more eco-friendly products. We are famous for being the creators of the world’s first compostable phone case and are now innovating waste with Lomi, the must-have home smart-waste appliance for anyone who cares about the environment and hates gross garbage.
We are seeking a highly skilled Mechanical Engineer to help us research, plan, design, develop and manage the creation of innovative new products. The ideal candidate must be a proficient engineer & inventor, able to develop complex appliances and supervise our young & talented team. Fluent in English and Cantonese or Mandarin, this talented communicator will work collaboratively with our Product Development team to create world class smart waste appliances, overseeing engineering across our Canada & Hong Kong teams. We are looking for someone with established mechanical and multidisciplinary design of consumer electronics/product engineering, with strength in investigating mechanical failures and quality assessment. A and demonstrated experience working with multiple manufacturing and engineering partners across over multiple timezones for QA/QC, sourcing and logistics is an asset. This role is based in beautiful Kelowna, BC; willingness to relocate to BC is required).
- Oversee all aspects of Lomi engineering, including rapid model development, hands-on product design, technical direction, manufacturing & QA/QC.
- Conduct research into the feasibility, design, operation and performance of mechanisms, components and systems
- Contribute to short & long term product planning. Collaborate with the leadership team to establish a compelling product roadmap that aligns with internal resourcing, contract partnerships, manufacturing timelines & testing requirements. Partner with project managers to develop comprehensive development plans & set priorities.
- Plan and manage projects, and prepare material, cost and timing estimates, reports and design specifications for machinery and systems
- Leverage strong factory relationships, partner network & sourcing and costing knowledge to support strategic, efficient product development.
- Investigate mechanical failures or unexpected maintenance problems
- Develop a high performance engineering team, overseeing employee productivity, growth & recognition. Ensure alignment on strategic objectives & direction for engineers in North America & Hong Kong. Foster collaboration across regions and time zones.
- Provide mentorship and act as an expert resource for technicians, electrical, firmware and mechanical engineers. Identify and develop future leaders.
- Drive continual improvement whilst ensuring that our products are designed, manufactured and shipped in the most sustainable, cost-effective and efficient manner
- Challenge the status quo to minimize risk and maximize performance
- Demonstrate a commitment to finding ways to reduce our environmental footprint, in every aspect of our business.
- 10-20 years of experience in a broad range of product development (preferably including small appliances) across multiple engineering disciplines
- Relevant degree, Mechanical Engineering or MBA is preferred
- Demonstrated experience managing high performing globally distributed teams
- Established consumer product design experience
- Excellent track record collaborating with factory partners
- Excellent sourcing and costing knowledge
- Strong project management and communications skills. Fluent in English required & ideally a competent communicator in Cantonese or Mandarin (for Hong Kong Team/partner communications)
- Proficient in Solid Works
- Clear understanding of schematic capture, pcb board layout, assembly etc.
Salary – $200K -$250K CAD/based on experience
Comprehensive extended health and wellness benefits package
Retirement Savings Match
4 weeks vacation (20 days)
Paid Sick days
Pela product discounts
4 Paid Volunteer (Pela Citizen) days per year
Commitment to Diversity
Pela is committed to cultivating and preserving a company culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion. This means we seek out people with diversity of opinion and with strengths that will be complementary to our existing organization. We know that we will grow and learn better with a diverse team. When recruiting for new members of our team, we welcome the unique contributions that you can bring in terms of your education, culture, ethnicity, race, sex, gender identity and expression, age, religion, and sexual orientation.
How to Apply
Please apply through our webpage: