Do you own your own Nerf gun – ’cause you’ll need it. Nobody should be unarmed in this group.
Are you a foosball champion – ’cause somebody needs to put the VP in his place. He’s undefeated since 2015 and won’t shut up about it.
But just as critical, you’re a whizz with WordPress, and are looking to expand your skills to other technologies and platforms (that’s the important part).
Cheeky Monkey Media (based in Kelowna, BC) is looking for a web developer with a strong understanding of open source web technology LAMP (Linux Apache MySQL PHP) stack. We typically build client solutions with Drupal and WordPress and we need somebody to jump into the WordPress work, while continually learning and growing as a well-rounded Monkey Wrencher. This position is specifically for a web developer with great knowledge of WordPress, with an interest in learning more about Drupal, React, and PHP programming in general.
If you have experience with WordPress, are pathological about hitting deadlines and delivering code, and are eager to learn and grow, we want to connect with you. Previous agency experience is a huge plus, but not a dealbreaker. We can indoctrinate (ahem, assimilate… uh, welcome… yeah) anybody into the Monkey way of life.
We’re a little off the wall when it comes to our in-office culture. To us “Cheeky” is more than just part of our name – it’s a description for our way of life. If you’re tired of working in a boring corporate environment, or seeking a little more camaraderie and fun in your workday, then we want to speak with you. Perks of joining our zoo include sassy colleagues, regular Nerf assaults while sitting at your desk, and a dog-friendly office that will challenge your sanity.
We’re fun, but on a regular basis, your work will also include the following:
- Building websites – custom and standard – on the WordPress framework
- Navigating the use of community based plugins
- Developing custom theme templates based on designs
- Commiting work to GIT repositories
- Performing peer code review of other team members code
- Write test scripts
- Investigating performance improvements and bottlenecks in code
- Deploy work to different development environments
- Participate in demonstration of completed work to client
- Continual learning to expand your technical knowledge and expertise
Qualities & Skills
Aside from being a little off-the-wall yourself, here are qualities we’re looking for:
- Pride in your work – You’re always producing high quality work and can follow the standards that Cheeky Monkey Media has set for itself.
- Deadline Oriented – Sticking to the time estimated to finish a project is more than a deadline to you – it’s a promise. But, if more time is needed you are able to communicate those issues clearly and quickly with the supervisor.
- Time Management – You’re on time and available to take on small or larger projects. In this role, you’ll likely be asked to juggle several projects.
- Communications – Collaborating and discussing problems, solutions, and issues is not a worry for you. You’re comfortable discussing wins and losses with all members of the team.
- Teamwork – You understand and appreciate that you’re part of a bigger team. You have a positive attitude, can work well with others, and are able to communicate well with other officemates.
- Leadership – You’re comfortable with peer coaching and mentoring, are constantly looking to improve your own skills so willing to be coached as well. You can trade ideas with skilled developers, and still mentor new talent for greatness.
- Client Interaction – Explaining solutions and answering client questions is no problem for you. You’re happy to discuss your work and ideas with clients, and make it easy for them to understand a complex solution.
We’re looking toward the future, but in your past, you’ve got this:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or a related field. However, while education is important, we’ll take experience over that any day.
- Minimum of 2 years WordPress development experience
- Experience integrating open source and third party applications into existing systems
- Proficiency in Linux administration, Apache configuration, MySQL database, design, and PHP web development
- Proficiency in hand-coded W3C compliant HTML & CSS
- Thorough understanding and proven implementation of W3C Web Standards
- Knowledge of pre-existing solutions and techniques for solving problems
- Understands GIT and SVN. You know when somebody says “make a branch” they aren’t looking for a tree.
You understand that the following are not anagrams for calculus:
- CSS / HTML
- Experience with WordPress
- Familiarity with Drupal and other CMS.
- Efficient & smooth banana peeling
- Experience with source control systems.
- Experience with IDE and Eclipse is a bonus.
Our head office is located in beautiful Kelowna, British Columbia. We’re seeking individuals to join our in-office team who can demonstrate a track-record for success in high pressure environments. But, if you’re located outside the BC Interior, we still want to hear from you.
As part of a fun team, the right candidate will be passionate about client solutions, serious about their code, and able to contribute to the wacky office environment. The developer we want is somebody open to learning and laughing, while producing the best web solutions.
We offer a competitive compensation package that includes salary, performance bonuses, and group benefits coverage. As well, additional perks include a casual work environment (lol – because we needed to emphasize that at this point?), team building events, paid lunch hour as part of your 8 hour day, free safety glasses for in-office employees (Nerf protection), and free coffee and refreshments to keep you wired up while you’re coding.
Cheeky Monkey Media is a flourishing company, with potential for growth. We’re looking for a person that can do the work today, but take on the lead tomorrow. There’s a lot of room to grow, and we want to hear how we can help you do that with us.
This position is open to Canadian citizens and permanent residents. Agencies, outsourcing services, or individuals not legally able to work within Canada will NOT be considered.
How to Apply
Interested? Please send your resume and career goals to firstname.lastname@example.org