Director of Projects and Engineering
UEE is looking for an Engineering Manager to join our engineering team.
What We Offer:
- Competitive wages.
- 100% Employer paid Extended Health Benefits including Vision Coverage.
- Health Care Spending Account for dental.
- Company matched Registered Pension Plan
- Strong commitment to safety in the workplace
- Friendly positive work environment.
Summary of what you will do:
The Engineering Manager is responsible for managing all aspects of design by the engineering department. The role will be in charge of leading engineering for the goal to successfully implement the designs developed to meet our client’s and all regulatory requirements. The Engineering Manager defines and oversees solutions to technical problems and is responsible for job planning and quality production as they pertain to engineering. This position is accountable for the processes of design, and continuous development of equipment and people on the engineering team.
- Lead and manage engineering projects and electrical & mechanical designs.
- Maintaining and updating Unit Electrical Engineering’s mechanical, electrical & design standards so all engineering staff follows the same methodologies.
- Enroll as UEE’s Responsible Registrant with EGBC to maintains UEE’s Permit to Practice.
- Research and Development for CSA, switchgear and couplers.
- Prepare weekly workload schedules for designers; work with operations and production to prioritize tasks.
- Create design specifications & calculations and studies for assigned projects.
- Direct and coordinate designs and implementation ensuring compliance with specifications, codes, and work order requirements.
- Provide consistent, coordinated and standardized approach to all design methodologies and engineering practices.
- Engineer and design all products to meet customer and regulatory specifications while ensuring the highest level of material and production efficiency.
- Initiate quality control checks for project work to drive quality & functional excellence.
- Assign and monitor team resource deployments across multiple projects and flexibly manage and adapt resources and team to dynamic business growth opportunities.
- Ability to simultaneously organize and successfully execute multiple engineering responsibilities.
- Prepare specifications for purchase of materials and equipment.
- Operate computer-assisted engineering and design software.
- Provide expertise and guidance in the identification, analysis and resolution of problems.
- Create technical reports, documentation, calculations and sketches.
- Develop sustainable work relationships to ensure positive resolutions with all contacts.
- Make technical decisions.
- Actively participate in department training and development programs.
- Maintain up-to-date engineering knowledge and stay current with industry trends and best practices.
- Registration with EGBC and APEGA as P.Eng.
- Minimum of 5 years experience
- Ability to authenticate documents.
- Ability to lead, mentor, engage, develop, and retain EIT’s, Engineers and Electrical and Mechanical Designers
- Bachelor’ degree in Electrical Engineering required. Master’s degree in engineering preferred.
- Ability to deal with people sensitively, tactfully, diplomatically and professionally at all times.
- The skills necessary to communicate and collaborate with multiple departments.
- Strong work ethic and positive attitude
- A deep understanding of the Canadian electrical standards.
- Work experience designing HV substations, MV and LV distribution systems, and large electrical systems required, including power, protection and control systems.
- The experience necessary to exercise cost control measures.
- Overtime as required.
- Organizational and time management skills to develop schedules and estimate engineering/design workhours for all engineering tasks.
- Experience in the electrical design of Hydroelectric plants and Mining (surface and underground) systems an asset.
- Demonstrated knowledge of required code for operation’s geographical area.
Please note this is not a remote position.
How to Apply
Apply on linkedin.com/company/unit-electrical-engineering
Put in subject line: Engineering Manager Position