At Microserve, we are an industry leader in providing technology solutions to public and private sector clients across Western Canada. Headquartered in Burnaby, BC, with offices in Victoria, Calgary, and Edmonton, we employ over 550 team members, and are one of the largest technology solutions providers in Western Canada, recognized for our ability to deliver and innovate to meet the changing needs of our clients.
The Director of Finance role at Microserve is a net-new position being added to our team as a result of significant growth. Microserve is seeking an experienced and analytical Director of Finance with strong numerical skills to drive our organization’s financial operations and improve financial performance. This role will report into our Vice President of Finance. Candidates based in the Greater Vancouver area are strongly preferred, but applicants across Canada will be considered based on experience and capabilities.
One of the important aspects of this role will be to act as key stakeholder and sponsor to lead our Finance team through business transformation as we plan to change our ERP software. We will need this person to be the champion of this transformation and lead all the projects related to it.
The Director of Finance will also contribute to Microserve’s success by helping oversee internal controls, setting financial targets, developing a financial strategy, monitoring expenditures, annual insurance policy renewals, monitoring cash flow, and managing tax compliance. Your skills in sound financial planning coupled with your ability to direct financial assets, will assist our organization in implementing effective financial strategies, managing debt, improving revenue, and helping maintain a healthy financial position.
The ideal candidate should possess strong analytical skills, good strategic thinking, excellent communication skills, exceptional numerical proficiency, and strong leadership skills. You will also provide leadership in strengthening internal communications with the financial acumen of all levels of staff throughout the organization and create and promote a positive and supportive work environment consistent with the organization’s culture and values.
Key Areas of Accountability:
- Lead the Accounting team’s transformation to a new ERP system.
- Demonstrate an on-going commitment to continuous improvement by implementing systems, structure, policy and/or process enhancements that improve the quality of the Finance department’s products and services and/or the efficiency and/or effectiveness of a major business process used to operate the organization.
- Responsible for the overall management of the finance operations, working closely with the operations team, to ensure timely and accurate financial results and effective financial controls.
- Responsible for all long-range financial matters and to establish company-wide financial and administrative objectives, policies, programs, and practices, which ensure the company of a continuously sound financial structure.
- Work with the Finance team to ensure compliance with internal and external reporting requirements.
- Develops and implements accounting policies, coordination of systems and procedures, and the preparation of operating data and special reports as required including interim and year-end financial statements. Maintains the company’s system of accounts and keeps books and records on all company transactions and assets.
- Establishes, coordinates, and administers as an integral part of management, an adequate plan for the control of operations including profit planning, programs for capital investing and financing, sales forecasts, expense budgets and cost standards, together with necessary controls and procedures to effectuate the plan.
- Provides leadership and direction to the team, ensures adherence to all policies and procedures, motivates and leads by example, and provides a supportive learning environment.
- Drive the financial planning of Microserve by analyzing its performance and risks.
- Retain constant awareness of the company’s financial position and acting to prevent problems.
- Review and approve all agreements concerning financial obligations, such as contracts for products or services and other actions requiring a commitment of financial resources.
- Administers banking arrangements and loan agreements. Maintains adequate sources for the company’s current borrowings from commercial banks and other lending institutions.
- Oversees the granting of credit and the collection of accounts due to the company, including supervision of required special arrangements for financing.
- Works closely with the operations team and collaborates with the Finance team, the development team, and other departments to ensure complete and accurate recording and monitoring of financial results.
- Helps design, implement, and monitor key financial and operational controls to ensure an effective control environment. Reviews the Company’s weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annual financial results and through the financial results reviews, identifies, and corrects any errors.
- Assists with the annual budget process and the preparation of forecasts.
- Liaises with executive team, operations management, and outside stakeholders to ensure operational business objectives are established and aligned with corporate strategic objectives.
- Liaises and communicates effectively with all appropriate departments.
- Develops and cultivates strong working relationships with all stakeholders.
- Oversee all audit and internal control operations.
- Ensure adherence to financial laws and guidelines.
- Handles all legal matters and provides legal advice.
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in a Senior Leadership role within Finance and/or Accounting.
- Bachelor’s Degree with a Major in Finance or Accounting is strongly preferred.
- CPA designation is required.
- Controller experience is considered an asset.
- Experience with an ERP or Accounting system implementation or migration is highly desirable.
- 5 years of people management experience overseeing accounting and finance professionals and staff at all levels.
- Exceptional intellectual, professional, and interpersonal agility with strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to act with considerable independence, discretion, and professional judgement.
- Ability to work collaboratively and communicate with the Senior Management team.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Experience using various accounting software programs.
- Proficient user of MS Office.
How to Apply
Please apply directly on our website: https://www.microserve.ca/jobs/director-of-finance/