About the Opportunity
Our Kelowna branch is growing and looking to add an experienced Communication and Engagement Specialist to our team located in Kelowna. As part of our team, you will have the opportunity to work with internal and external clients, developing communication and engagement strategies with a focus on implementation.
Along with supporting the existing team, you will also be given the opportunity to lead projects with the support of senior staff members. This opportunity is well suited to those who have a keen interest in pushing forward with new ideas and who thrive outside of their comfort zone.
In addition, you will be involved in the following:
- Supporting the development of communications and engagement strategies related to city planning, governance, large-scale municipal infrastructure projects, transportation, social planning, and more
- Creating high-quality communications materials such as key messages/speeches, social media content, news releases, project briefs, newsletters, web content, posters and pamphlets, presentations, reports, invitations, email correspondence, and more.
- Supporting the design and facilitation of workshops, engagement sessions, and other public engagement techniques using creative methods (virtual and in-person)
- Copywriting and editing, including responsibility for a quality control function, reading content and correcting errors, spelling, punctuation, and grammar
- Organizing and coordinating events on behalf of clients
- Analyzing quantitative and qualitative engagement feedback
- Developing engagement reports and summaries
- Project coordination, including managing timelines and tasks, for communications and engagement project delivery
Our preferred candidate will have a degree in a relevant field of study, and related experience in a communications and engagement field as a consultant or working with/for local, regional, or provincial governments, or Indigenous communities. The following attributes will be considered assets:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism, English, Business Administration or Social Science, or the equivalent in progressive work experience
- 2 – 4 years’ experience in stakeholder and public engagement, communications, or a related field
- Familiarly with International Association for Public Participation (IAP2) foundations and standards
- Ability to provide direction and strategic advice for communications planning
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written, with the ability to make complex, technical information easy to understand
- Ability to engage an audience, create interest and excitement
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively within a team environment
- Service-oriented and strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to work in an environment that is decentralized, complex, and with a diverse range of stakeholders
- Familiarity with analyzing and summarizing qualitative and quantitative data into meaningful themes
- Possess an entrepreneurial mindset; when a problem arises, you begin seeking a solution
How to Apply
How to Apply
If this describes your background, skills and attributes please visit our website for more information and submit your resume and cover letter. If it doesn’t describe you exactly but you feel you are well suited to this opportunity, we encourage you to apply.
Urban Systems is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create an inclusive culture for all employees. Our clients come from all walks of life and so do you. We believe that diversity and unity amongst our teams leads to building vibrant communities.
Deadline for applications: Monday, July 18th 2022 at 9:00 am PDT