Hexagon Purus, a Hexagon Composites company, is a world leading provider of renewable energy storage systems, including both gaseous hydrogen storage and large battery storage systems for fuel cell electric and battery electric vehicles commercial vehicles. Hexagon Purus enables zero emission solutions for light, medium and heavy-duty vehicles, buses, ground storage, distribution, maritime, rail, aerospace, and backup power solutions. Hexagon Composites has 1100 employees across 23 global locations.
Hexagon Purus Systems Canada Ltd. is currently seeking an enthusiastic and self-starting Battery Management Systems Software Engineer to join our growing team in Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada. If you are looking to work for an organization that values sustainability and is working towards Clean Air Everywhere, then we are the place for you.
Reporting to the Senior Controls Engineering Lead, you will be responsible for developing and testing the Battery Management System (BMS) and Battery System Supervisory software while working with cross-functional teams.
- Develop controls algorithms for BMS and Supervisory module for Battery Packs
- Design, implement and test algorithms for BMS to derive SOC, SOH, SOP and State-of-Energy of a system
- Develop simulation models BMS system to perform SIL testing to evaluate performance and compliance to system requirements
- Responsible for overseeing the complete development cycle, which includes software architecture and requirements, implementation, bench testing and system integration.
- Design and develop diagnostics for BMS Supervisor following on-board diagnostics standards
- Interact with customers as product line owner for the battery management systems. Discuss concerns and issues with customers and provide solutions as necessary
- Analyze field data and provide solution for the product to the customers
- Handle queries from customers and develop necessary FAQ for the system
- Research and develop solutions to various controls problems that cover multiple domains including HV electrical, thermal and calculation accuracy
- Collaborate with electrical teams and mechanical teams to integrate components, check functionality on the bench and on complete systems
- Define and implement test cases for components in bench setup, hardware in the loop (HIL), and in complete Battery Electric Vehicles (BEV) and Fuel Cell Electric Vehicles (FCEV) integration and commissioning
- Work at all levels of the product development ‘V-model’ including the supporting design artifacts such as: Design Failure Mode Effects and Analysis (DFMEA), Design Validation Plan (DVP), and Functional Safety Requirements
- Implement and mature the proposed solutions on Rapid Prototyping hardware (HIL) to confirm functionality and performance, integrating and adapting existing software as required
- Support and manage the software release process for various battery management systems
- Manage and release software calibrations for various battery management systems
- Support field reported issues and suggest improvements for the software
- Analyze field collected CAN data and provide necessary assistance to technicians and customers
- Support data analysis team with controls requirements and feature understanding
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Qualifications, Experience, Education
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Controls and Computer Control Systems
- Minimum of 5 years of hands-on experience working on battery systems, automation and/or electromechanical systems
- Understanding of energy storage systems (HV battery) and its controls
- Knowledge of BMS and related usage in various vehicle systems
- Knowledge of Battery system software functions
- Experience with modeling lithium-ion cells and simulating models of electrical systems
- Expertise in MATLAB Simulink & Stateflow
- Expertise in embedded C and hand coding
- Expertise in CAN communication and J1939 standard
- Expertise in developing Diagnostics algorithms
- Understanding of Functional safety ISO26262
- Experience with embedded C code review and development
- Experience with CAN communication tools (Vector CANalyzer, Kvaser,etc.)
- Understanding of automotive development processes and V-cycle
- Knowledge about MATLAB and Python scripting
- Experience with New Eagle Raptor environment for development and testing is a plus
- Self-starter with the ability to work alone on projects.
- Detail oriented with superior analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Microsoft Office software skills (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Visio)
- Ability to handle multiple jobs and adapt to a rapidly changing work environment with fluctuating priorities.
- Valid passport with ability to travel to USA.
Physical Demands & Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is moderately required to sit for long periods of time at a computer and use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel or crouch; talk and hear. The employee may occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and ability to adjust focus.
This position will work in the plant and outdoors in the field, therefore subject to all weather conditions sometimes to include extreme cold and heat. The work described while working in the plant or field will require wearing all PPE depending on circumstance which may include safety glasses, hard hat, ear protection, leather gloves, safety vest and steel toed boots.
The above statements are intended to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this position. They are not designed to contain or be interpreted as an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, skills, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
Hexagon Purus Systems is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and ensures that all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, colour, ancestry, place of origin, religion, marital status, family status, physical or mental disability, sex, sexual orientation, age, criminal conviction and political belief.
How to Apply
click link below to apply: